Upstate Community Enhancement Foundation
Chico’s Artoberfest: A Festival of Arts & Culture
From the swish of dancers’ dresses to the strumming of guitars, Artoberfest celebrates the National Arts and Humanities month all 31 days of October. This festival, an eclectic mixture of Chico’s community, has exploded since 2005, its events growing in number from 85 to 150. Additionally, in 2008, Artoberfest received the Judge’s Choice for the Best Cooperative Marketing Campaign Award from the California Travel and Tourism Commission.
Featured at the festival are:
- Live performances
- Film and video
- Visual arts
- Special events
Included in the special events of the festival are:
- Open Studios Tour
- Sierra Oro Farm Trail
- U.S. National Yo-Yo Contest
- Oktoberfest and Glass Fest, sponsored by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Each year, the festival has hosted presenters, who have included:
- Chico Performances
- 1078 Gallery
- Children’s Choir of Chico
- The Janet Turner Print Museum
- Chico Cabaret
- Chico State’s College of Humanities & Fine Arts
- Local museums and attractions
- "The Writing Loft" in Paradise
Currently, Friends of the Arts measures Artoberfest’s success though the number of activities and organizations involved in the festival and the success of the events produced.